As Fall gets kicked into full swing, we know that you all are just dying for a dish with some autumn flare (and we’re not talking about a Pumpkin Spice Latte). Culinary Concepts created a tasty recipe for Spicy Pumpkin Soup with Cinnamon Croutons to fill your bellies on these cooler days. With a thick and creamy texture, this seasonal recipe is perfect for this time of year and would be followed well with some traditional pumpkin pie.
2 tbsp brown sugar
15 oz can pumpkin puree
2 cans unsalted chicken broth
1 cup chopped onion
5 tbsp softened butter
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
4 slices whole wheat bread
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 cup heavy whipping cream
⅛ tsp ground black pepper
Handful cilantro leaves
½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix together the cinnamon, half the sugar, and the butter and spread it evenly across each slice of bread, and toast, buttered side up, for about 8 minutes. Cut the bread slices into small squares or triangles.
- Sauté the onion in the rest of the butter until tender, then add half the chicken broth. Stir well, bring to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes.
- Add the other can of broth, the salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin puree, pepper, the rest of the sugar and the ginger. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Cover, turn the heat down, and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the cream and warm it through without boiling.
- Garnish with croutons and cilantro leaves.
PHOTO CREDIT: Culinary Concepts